Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mental Help

Yesterday I did my first weight workout in about 2 months and then did a 50 minute run right after. Needless to say, I was sore when I got up this morning. I seriously contemplated resetting my alarm and sleeping in but I got up. I figured I was swimming and that would help loosen up my sore muscles. I had to do a 2600m swim. I figured it wasn't going to be a problem, it will just take me longer than normal. I'm tired but I think I can muscle through it. I get to the pool and start my swim. The body was willing but the mind had other ideas. I swam my warm up and half of my main set and then stopped. I was TOTALLY wiped out and I SO didn't want to be there. I had the pool to myself (a total rarity!) so I stayed at the end of my lane and stretched. I contemplated getting out and going to sit in the hot tub. I had a dr's appointment so I had to be on the road by 8:00 am or so. I looked at my watch. It wasn't even 6:45 am. Arg. So the mental chatter begins. "Maybe I'll just drop the 2nd 400 I'm supposed to do and finish the rest of the set"......Well...."I REALLY should do the entire workout, my goal this week was to get ALL my workouts done".....but..."It's not like I'm SKIPPING this workout, I'm just shortening it"....hmmm....
In the end, the shorter workout won. I did 2200 instead of 2600. But, at least I did my workout. I can't make a habit of doing this though. I'm sure once Gary gets back into it, I won't be prone to ditching parts of workouts. He's a good motivator (motivation by guilt, he's got it down to a science, God love him.) Right now I'm the only one training so it's easy for me to slack a bit. Everyone else starts training in November. I'll have a good head start--that should be motivation enough.

No comments: